I needed a Valentine’s Day gift for my mom who is IMPOSSIBLE to buy for. Buy the lady a lovely handmade scarf or piece of jewelry and she’ll say, “Oh, honey you shouldn’t have… I could have made this myself!”
She hates spending money on something she could make herself. She’s crafty to the core. The gifts she loves the best require hauling out paint brushes, a sewing machine or a glue gun.
I made her this heart-shaped mini pincushion. It attaches to your sewing machine with elastic — so your pins are always near. She loved it.
Read on to make one for the crafty ladies (or gents) in your life!
What to get:
-Fabric (at least 6” x 4”) I used some scraps we had leftover from Craftcation 2016 courtesy of Michael Miller Fabrics
-Elastic (size depends on the size of your sewing machine)
What to do:
1. Draw a heart on your fabric. I think it’s easiest to fold it half and draw half a heart on one side and then cut it. This ensures that both sides of the heart are the same.
2. Place the right (printed sides) of the heart together and pin the top together to hold it in place then insert the elastic and pin it in place.
3. Sew the heart together making sure the elastic stays in place and leave an opening at the bottom big enough to turn it right way out and insert stuffing.
4. Turn the heart right way out.
5. Insert stuffing and sew the bottom closed by hand.