Honey Party + How to Make a Bees Knees Cocktail
A few weeks ago, we were invited to a party thrown by the Backyard Bees to celebrate their business and get a tour of where all their honey magic happens. It seems like just yesterday that I met Kelly who came into my shop talking about a business that she and her friend Janet were starting and how in love she was with beekeeping. I loved the idea of local honey (literally from hives a few blocks away) and women beekeepers. I immediately asked if I could have an order for my shop.
Several years later, a few cover stories, multiple festivals and events, a honey skincare line and a partnership with Whole Foods, the ladies of the Backyard Bees have grown to much more than two ladies with a passion for saving bees. This was clear looking out to the 50+ hive hosts that attended their Harvest Party. Kelly gave a very sweet speech telling the story of their business and thanking people who helped them along the way. I was super flattered when I heard my name mentioned as an early supporter. HOW SWEET! After the speech, we were given a tour of the honey house, the amazing garden grounds and snacked on honey-inspired treats and a delicious honey cocktail. The honey cocktail was so good I couldn’t help but share with our DHL readers below.
Congrats to Kelly, Janet and the Backyard Bees team. I can wait to see what the future holds!
- 1/4 cup of hot water
- 1 teaspoon of dried lavender blossoms
- 1/4 cup of honey
- 6 tablespoons of gin
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- pomegranate juice to taste
- Mix hot water and dried lavender in bowl. Let steep 5 minutes.
- Whisk in 1/4 cup of honey.
- Strain into another bowl (or don’t it’s up to you if you want whole lavender pieces in your drink).
- Add 3 tablespoons of the honey syrup, gin, and lemon juice.
- Strain into cocktail shaker with ice.
- Shake well and strain into 2 chilled glasses.
- *You can also make a large batch and serve it from a punch bowl or jar. I used the same process and ingredients but eyeballed the amounts to fill the large pitcher and also added pomegranate juice.