Everyone loves Sriracha. And everyone loves salt. So combining the two is quite possibly one of the best things ever.
I’ve been making this recipe for Sriracha Salt. It’s a super simple process. I mean really, really simple.
This is not a light flavored salt. It’s full of flavor. And it would be great on almost anything. Eggs, quesadillas, the rim of your margarita glass, popcorn, meat, yogurt…..ok. I’m kidding about the yogurt part.
So go make yourself some of this stuff. Make a double or triple batch (like I did) and give it away to your friends. They will think you are the coolest, and then you can thank me later.
WHAT TO GET:
-Kosher salt, or some other large crystal salt
-Measuring cups & measuring spoons
How to do it:
1. Preheat your oven to 350.
2. Line your shallow pan with parchment paper.
3. Measure out 1/2 cup of salt and pour into mixing bowl.
7. TURN YOUR OVEN OFF.
If you don’t, the Sriracha salt will burn in about five minutes, causing you (and your kids, or anyone else in the house) to cough and cough and cough. Then you will have to carry black smoking burnt Sriracha salt outside to your trash cans and dump it…possibly the pan and all. And then you will be sad that you wasted all that good stuff cause you didn’t read the directions right. Just sayin’. The idea is to dry the salt. Not cook it.
8. Let the pan sit in your oven for hours. For reals. Hours. It will make your house smell really good…and you will be tempted to open the door. But don’t. It’s drying in there. Let it dry. (Also, make sure you don’t try to do this right before you plan on cooking in your oven….cause that won’t work either.)
9. When the oven is completely cooled, pull out your pan.
10. Pour into a jar and set right next to your stove so that you can use it all the time. Or hide it in the back of the cupboard so that your roommates don’t use it all up when you are at work. Whatever.
- ½ cup kosher salt
- 5 teaspoons Sriracha
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Line a shallow baking pan with parchment paper.
- Mix salt and Sriracha until combined.
- Spread in a even layer on pan and put in oven.
- Turn off oven and let dry in the heat.
- The process can take 2-3 hours depending on how thick your layer of salt is.
- When the oven is cool, pull out and break up.
- Store in closed container.