Multi-Surface Wood Burning with Walnut Hollow
In case you missed it…. last week Walnut Hollow hosted a free online workshop with us to show you how fun their Creative Versa Tool is! I only ever thought burning was for wood but was so amazed to see how many surfaces you can actually burn on! I know it says it right there in the title but what I love most about it is the versatility! I’m not a professional pyrographer (yes that’s what people who do this are called!) but because of the versatility and ease of this tool, I can kind of act like one. Click here to watch the replay of the workshop!
Here are a few takeaways from the workshop that I thought were helpful.
- Best woods to burn on: Basswood, Birch, Oak
- Tape down your wood burn tool stand to the desk you’re working on to avoid slippage or it falling.
- Treat your tool like a plane taking off and landing. This will help achieve an overall smoother look
- If you don’t have graphite paper, you can pick some up HERE but you can also use a pencil and rub it all across the back of your stencil and then trace over it onto your surface like normal.
- If you are using any kind of color: paint, colored pencil, marker etc. Do that only AFTER you burn. Burning over color can cause toxic fumes.
- If you want to seal your pieces you can use a Polycrylic Spray like this.
- Remember practice makes progress!
Just a warning, some of the materials you burn onto can cause toxic fumes.
Please burn in a well ventilated area using a mask as a precaution.
With this I made this super cute bookmark. Burning onto leather was probably my favorite. It was definitely the easiest and smoothest and I really love the look of it. I started by cutting a 2×7 strip out of the leather. I created my own stencil with a mix of my lettering and one of the freebie designs. I used the graphite paper and a stylus to transfer the design onto the leather and then burned over it with the Cone Point. I was able to use an eraser to erase away any of the graphite left, so cool!
If you would like to pick up any of these items and get started on your wood burning journey, Use the code DHL2022 to get 30% OFF anything and everything at Walnut Hollow through 9/30/22.
I hope you decide to give this a try! We would love to see your burn experiments! Please tag us on Instagram @dearhandmadelife & @walnuthollow
Nik is a maker, day dreamer & potty mouth who loves cats, coffee and craft beer. She is a self taught hand embroiderer and will DIY pretty much anything she can get her hands on. You can see her work on Instagram @wastingthyme & @nikvphotography. She lives in Long Beach with her husband and her three awesome cats (that she can’t shut up about).
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE...