one thing about craftcation i don’t want to let slide is decor. i’ve been keeping my eyes peeled on pinterest and blogs for ideas for simple things i can make to decorate the hotel and city hall. i ran across this tutorial on the bride’s cafe. i modified the tutorial a little bit since i didn’t have a supply of lids for the base. i also used a decorative paper edge hole punch as well for a little extra sparkle. i also made some varying cage sizes as well. thanks to laurie for sharing her tutorial.
what you need
-card stock in a variety of colors
-1/8 inch hole punch
-brads (i used little scrapbooking brads)
-decorative edge hole punch (optional)
-heavy duty glue stick
-cute printed paper
-string (i used thin silver string)
what to do:
1. cut a bird out of colored card stock. bird should be about 3 inches long and 2 inches high at tallest and widest parts.
2. cut 4 strips of creme card stock for bars of cage 12 inches long and 1/2 an inch wide.
3. cut 2 circles of creme card stock that are 3.5 inches in diameter.
4. measure to the middle (6 inches) of the cage bars and punch a hole.
5. punch a tiny hole at the top middle of the bird.
6. cut 12 inches of string and pull through hole on bird.
7. hold the cage bars together fanning out from center as you line up the middle holes you punched and pull the bird’s string through the hole until about 2 inches of string is hanging above the bird.
8. attach the brad to keep bird and bars in place.
9. lay bars with attached bird down and fold over the ends of the bars about 1/4 of an inch folding inward to where the bird hangs.
10. attach cage to the first round circle by glueing down the folded ends of each bar around the circle.
11. once the bars are in place glue the second circle down on top in the center of the cage.
12. cut a strip of cute printed paper 12 inches long and 1-1 1/2 inches wide.
13. glue the strip of printed paper around the cage at the bottom.