my 2013 shopping list for the 127 yard sale
or how i attempt to remain sane and not spend all my $$ on day one. it doesn’t work completely, but having a list of things keeps you on track. what i need to do is to keep a list throughout the year…there are so many times that i see something and think, “oh i will look for this on 127“- you always think you will remember but i doesn’t happen. If you are planning to go, just start making a list of what you are looking for (and while you are at it- start looking at how much they cost on-line).
1. kitchen sink: last year, as we moved into our new home, i found an o’keefe & merritt stove at a thrift store for $450 (talk about deal of a lifetime!). i would really like a great farm-style sink to compliment the stove- one that is wide for dishes and deep, none of that 2 compartment sink layout . check out some of these ideas from Pinterest (gotta love it for inspiration)! we are also planning to build a small outdoor kitchen, so i will be keeping an eye out for an second sink or something creative that can be used for one.
2. descoware: i love the porcelain-coated cast iron Belgium pots, pans and casseroles. i have a few pieces at home, but i would love to pick up a handful and have them available in my shop for customers to pick up. Most of the ones i have seen come in a great orange color, but there are adorable yellow pieces and light teal ones with cute designs. i recently saw a butter warmer at a vintage furniture store which i hope to snag for the house!
3. vintage bar items: maybe it is mad men or that boardwalk empire is about to start up again, but i want to start collecting and selling various bar items from the 1920’s- 1960’s. Every year, we find old bottles, carts and utensil sets …occasionally i find whole, half or even single pieces of glassware that is great for displays or for eclectic personal collections. I love the cart below and the ice crusher- it doesn’t even have to work, it looks great on its own!
4. Georges briard cooking items and other funky pots:as you can see, i am into cookware and last year, in New Mexico, i found this beautiful Georges briard soup pot. I have some other cooking post with veggies and proteins- they have so much personality! Unlike the descoware, they are lighter (enameled stainless i believe).
5. juice jars: every year, since my first 127 trip, i have been collecting old juices jars and i use them everyday at home as my own personal drinking jars at work and to store juices/drink mixes at home. I love them and now i have been getting requests to sell them! the green one below i have seen often and if you look at our Instgram, you can see me holding a cute one with lemons (holding my favorite drink- arnold palmer), on a recent trip to Las Vegas with nicole.
6. Weathervane: i have never for them on 127, but they must have them right? i mean, i have seen old school buses and stagecoaches…we have got to find a weathervane! Gustavo really wants one for the house.
7. other items: i am also looking for interesting housewarming gifts, wedding presents and holiday gifts – like linens, lamps, wall decor and vases. some friends have also requested items too and i will be shopping for them as well.
tomorrow i will post about our awesome time in louisville, ky and after that, i will be posting about each day of the trip with a review of our hotel, eating establishments, finds and tips. if you check me out on Instagram, i will be posting some of my favorite finds!
love all of this vintage kitchen ware! that pot is AMAZING! hopefully i’ll be the proud owner of a vintage juice jar soon 🙂
Nicole: I will be on the look-out for a cute sewing machine for you too!